The Beginning After the End

Photo credit: Etsy.com

Myka Colquitt, Editor

Every year at least 2,000 students leave the school to begin a new segment in their life, whether it’s starting college, a new job, or beginning a family with the person they love the most. Everyone goes in a different direction and does great things with their lives, or tries to at least. Some seniors say “It’s going to be an easy breeze,” and others find it difficult with the lack of planning out their lives. Many seniors will be leaving this school with built up anxiety, considering they’re starting a new chapter without the help of their parents.

Most seniors have planned out this moment and really wanted to be on their own. I mean who wouldn’t, with the constant complaining of your parents telling you to “Do the dishes!” or “Clean your room!” you would think that you wouldn’t have to worry about that stuff. You probably wouldn’t have to worry about that, but bigger obstacles will come your way for you to be wishing you could do the dishes or clean your room.

It’s crazy how we have spent the past 12 years of our lives with teachers telling us what to do, how to do it, how to sit, write, read, and speak. High school or school in general prepares us for the upcoming events that will definitely take place in our lives. When asking seniors at Antelope Valley questions like, “What’s the most difficult task in being a senior?” Ranise replied with, “Being a senior in general is a hard task, because there is so much pressure to graduate and a lot of multitasking, you want to be great in life and it sort of overwhelms you.” Another question the seniors found interesting was, “How do you see yourself in ten years,” Football or basketball players want to be in the NFL or NBA, Kimberli said, “Cosmetology, building a family, and marriage is something on my mind.”

The seniors this year are filled with confidence and big dreams with high hopes that they will have a great lifestyle, who wouldn’t want that type of lifestyle? A lot of seniors thought it was just another cliche to have that type of dream, Joaquin said, “It’s easy for us to dream when we’re younger. Everyone wants to be something big, but sometimes we have to just settle with what we have. It’s easy to think stuff like that will happen when we’re younger, but when we get older big dreams go away and things get serious.” In some ways that could be true, but you could take grasp of that particular dream if you’re committed to it, we’ve seen it happen before.

Every senior wants to be done with school, until they’re done with school, our parents explained to us that we should want to stay young forever, and cherish the moments we have. Family members that graduated told us to stay focused and work hard, and friends have helped us succeed in our lives. Seniors you have less than 8 months to get it together, because these last 8 months evaluate your lives. Seniors you  may think it’s the end of everything but it’s good to think that sometimes, it’s just the beginning after the end. You get the opportunity to write out the rest of your life, so get ready because there’s going to be a lot of writing.