Mr. Bullard One Of The Hardest Working Teachers On Campus

Though most students know him as the conductor in front of the band. But Mr. Bullard is much more than someone on stage making sure everyone is on time.

Rickey Bullard born and raised in Lumberton, North Carolina.  Though now he dresses in the finest of suits he originally comes from a family that lived in poverty most of his life. Though his family made it seem like they were rich. During these times in North Carolina it was and from his point of view still is one of the most racist places to live in and the KKK is still very much alive.

Mr.Bullard recalled “One of my best friends, I would go to his house after school, we would play, and laugh and everything. But as soon it turned dark his dad would show up and tell me it’s dark. And I knew that that meant I had to go home.” He would have to get home before dark because at night it was dangerous for children such as himself Klan wise.

Though there were some difficulties with his family in poverty and having to get home at a certain curfew that didn’t stop him from going the extra mile. Mr.Bullard had started learning and playing music when he was in the second grade. Mr.Bullard originally started playing Trombone ,but before that he started with vocals. Through a program that at the time helped students of young ages play an instrument.

He over time attained a scholarship in Winston-Salem State University in North Carolina in trombone and vocals. After college he pursued a teaching career like most of his family before him.

Mr.Bullard had come from a musical family and when asked when  his music teaching career really kicked off he replied “… it would have to be in the year 2000, I had vocal students and band students and I would try to make sure they had instruments…” So over the years not only did Mr.Bullard teach music he built music programs for multiple schools from the ground up.

After arriving in Antelope Valley he had received nothing but love and support from the school and district. The district wanted the band to rise up from the from the losses taken from the past years. The district is also supporting Mr. Bullard in modernizing the band. Though most most students in band are already determined and aiming for greatness Mr. Bullard thinks that all people should join band because discipline can be taught and we should not only include a select few.

The band this year plans to attend many festivals and competitions many of which are in the Antelope Valley area and other festivals and competition in other cities such one which taking place in Los Angeles.

Though the band may seem small in size when asked if this band has what it takes Mr. Bullard replied with this “This is one of the hardest working bands I have ever worked with despite it’s small size and it also has some the best sound in all of Antelope Valley.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Mr. Bullard One Of The Hardest Working Teachers On Campus”

1. Max Myrick on October 15th, 2017 9:35 pm

This is a very nice and informative article, Ricardo. I have gain much more respect for Mr.B and the music program in general.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Mr. Bullard One Of The Hardest Working Teachers On Campus

Opinion

In-N-Out

• Sports

Pink Out Game

Opinion

Behind The Cafeteria

Opinion

Ways To Wake Up In The Morning

News

Plague in Madagascar

Sports

Antelope Valley vs. Palmdale

News

Who is Isis?

Student Life

The “Amazing” Tei Street

Review

Cafeteria Food is it Healthy? and is it Worth Eating?

Review

Do You Remember Danny Phantom?