Filed under Showcase, Student Life

NJROTC at AVHS

Photo:America Mahaley, Sandpaper

Photo:America Mahaley, Sandpaper

Photo:America Mahaley, Sandpaper

According to http://www.njrotc.navy.mil ,NJROTC was established in 1964 by public law. ROTC, The Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, as it exists today began with President Wilson signing the National Defense Act of 1916. The Reserve Officers’ Training Corps is the best opportunity for you to get invaluable experience while you earn a college degree. When enrolled in ROTC you learn and develop leadership skills and prepare for a career as an officer in the U.S. Military.

The NJROTC curriculum emphasizes citizenship and leadership development, as well as our maritime heritage. The significance of sea power, and naval topics such as the fundamentals of naval operations, seamanship, navigation and meteorology. Classroom instruction is augmented throughout the year by community service activities, drill competition, field trips, visits to naval activities, marksmanship training, and other military training.

NJROTC is a leadership program that develops self-discipline and self-confidence to help teens be successful in life challenges along the road. Some kids are involved in the program because friends are involved, family, or they just simply wanna be educated. “My sister encourage me to do it because she was involved in the navy and also because I want to be a better person”- Anahi Leon. Some kids that join think it is fun because there are games and other activities kids find entertaining. “It’s fun, it teaches you a lot about life, integrity, discipline, teamwork and you meet new people that can be good friends”- Sophia Fuentes. Some kids don’t enjoy the activities as much as others  “I don’t really like it too much, the upper class yells a lot specially when you talk and they make you shut up, it seems like they do it on purpose”- Saniya Estell. Others said “Favoritism is one of the things I can’t stand, but besides that everything is cool, I like ROTC”- Xavier Anaya .

ROTC also offers AV students field trips to other schools for kids and competitions, some kids joined last year and thought it was fun. The freshman joined this year and most of them are very happy about it. “I’m excited, because it seems fun and interesting, everybody talks about it so much, like when Sergeant Major said soon we will be sleeping in school”- Saniya Estell. Others that were in ROTC for a while said “My freshman year was easy, well at the same time was kinda difficult but mostly stressful and my rank is Ensign”- Rory Meunier, “My rank is Ensign, that rank brings a lot of responsibility and if you mess up it is noticed”- Kevin Virgen.

On September 13, 2017 ROTC had a reward ceremony, freshman’s were getting ranked, others were turning to chiefs and officers. Also, ROTC will have a competition at the end of September with Troy High School, they have been practicing, marching, drills, exercises and flags. Sergeant Major and chiefs have been watching cadets march and exercise, they will be choosing the best ones to go and compete with Troy High School. They have been practicing the flags for the military appreciation ceremony.

1 Comment

One Response to “NJROTC at AVHS”

1. Eric W. Mahaley on September 26th, 2017 7:32 pm

I like the story, very informational. While I was in middle school I was in a program called the cadets. it was similar to this one, after I graduated from high school, I joined the US Navy, for a career of 24 an a half years. I only wish that I had joined the ROTC program before inlisting, there are benefits to it, such as advancement to pay grades and even the opportunity to become an officer. However it was truly an adventure, I would do it all over again if I could. Great story

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• NJROTC at AVHS

Student Life

The “Amazing” Tei Street

• NJROTC at AVHS

Review

Do You Remember Danny Phantom?

• NJROTC at AVHS

Review

Naruto to Boruto Shinobi Striker Review

• NJROTC at AVHS

News

Do You Know What Ag Does?

• NJROTC at AVHS

Student Life

Homecoming 2k17

• NJROTC at AVHS

Sports

Lopes Cage the Puppies

• NJROTC at AVHS

Review

“IT” Movie Review

• NJROTC at AVHS

Sports

AVHS FOOTBALL

• NJROTC at AVHS

News

DACA News

• NJROTC at AVHS

News

Hurricane Harvey

NJROTC at AVHS