Filed under Showcase, Student Life

The “Amazing” Tei Street

On October 13th, 2017 a motivational speaker named The “Amazing” Tei Street came to speak to us during our second period. Tei Street was born on September 25th in Elizabeth, New Jersey. In the beginning of the assembly she talked about how she was a wild child and grew up with many laughs and loving things in her life. At a young age Tei Street decided that she wanted to attend Ohio State but her mom and dad decided otherwise.

Tei Street grew up in an interesting childhood, she was inspired by The Great Houdini and wanted to be like him but things were a little complicated considering she didn’t really have the experience on “magic”. She let us know to never let another person control your life with the words or decisions other people make upon you. She made sure that we understood to believe in ourselves and to never give up because “only you can make you better.”

Tei Street brought many laughs to the table and created a much better assembly than many of us thought it would be. After the assembly and the many pictures people took with her I interviewed her privately to get her input on a few things. It turns out she’s been doing this for 15 years. Asking her questions like, “How did you know you were impacting others?” Tei Street replied with, “Many kids let me know how things were going, I knew I was doing good things when kids started writing to me about touching their lives and making things better for them.”

I also asked her, “What’s her favorite topic to talk about?” and Tei Street said, “Anything that helps young people know that they matter, my input is for the kids to understand that their life is going somewhere.” Tei street says, “I don’t use the word luck I believe I am blessed to be where I am today.” The last question asked was, “What made you come to Antelope Valley and is there anything you would like to add?”, Tei Street says, “For years I wanted to be in the California market and Jeff helped me get there and invited me to the CADA camp for the ASB students, I went to 4 CADA camps and Mr. Pape invited me here,” Tei Street also said, “I had an amazing experience, I am grateful I helped many.”

Tei Street was another event that the Lopes shouldn’t miss out on. If you don’t want to miss the next assembly make sure you purchase an ASB card for $20 at the students store.