Save Our Ocean

Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com

Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com

Angelica Garcia, Sandpaper Writer

There is a trash island in the middle of the ocean twice the size of Texas and because we as a society dump trash anywhere, we are to blame for it. Plastic pollution was first discovered in the ocean by scientists in the late 1960’s and has been a major problem ever since. It does not only affect us but everything around us including animals, waterways, oceans, and the environment.

There is a project called, The Ocean Cleanup that deploys barriers that remove plastic from the trash island. This project was started by Boyan Slat, he pronounced to launch his first ocean clean up system in September of 2018. Unfortunately, there is not enough global cooperation to put a stop to plastic pollution but people like Slat are making a huge difference. Everyone should take part in saving our environment.

Antelope Valley High school students were interviewed and were informed about the plastic ocean. The first student that was interviewed was Hansel Ayala, she was not aware of how much plastic was in the ocean. She says that “We just need to learn to become better citizens and have respect for the world we live in. We need to stop littering and start to throw everything in their proper places”. Most of this trash wouldn’t be in the ocean if we just put trash in trash cans where it supposed to be. There should be more awareness of what’s going on around us because before we know it, it will be too late.

The second student who was interviewed was Destiny Portillo also a Junior at AVHS. She was also completely shocked. Truly, It is sad how people do not know what is going on in the world. How could our society do something about a situation that is unheard of?

More people need to be aware of the amount of plastic that wanders in the ocean. The trash is destroying the beauty of the ocean and is hurting our animals that live in the water. It is said that by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish, that’s just awful. Just like we like to keep our homes clean, we need to do everything possible to keep the marine animals home clean. About 71% percent of our planet is made up mainly of oceans, and 10% of plastic produced from all over the world ends up in the Ocean. As a society, we need to work together to make our world a better place.