Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

Photo courtesy: www.oceancrusaders.org

Photo courtesy: www.oceancrusaders.org

Photo courtesy: www.oceancrusaders.org

Jorge Gomez, Managing Editor

Whether eaten in coastal areas or in the comfort of homes, fish are generally one of the many foods used to give an everyday meal that extra “kick”. Interestingly though, there’s more to these speedy swimmers than just juicy flavors and various vitamins. Within some fishes bodies, although very little, are pieces of plastic, most likely caused by accidental digestion.

About a whopping 66.666% of fish are prone to unintentional plastic ingestion, as asserted by Ocean Crusaders, a site dedicated to the pollution in the ocean. And being that fish are eaten from time to time, it’s fair to say that this could be concerning, however, since fish are heavily processed and looked over upon greatly, the chances of harm are relatively low.

According to “Our Plastic Ocean”, an article written by the Week Staff, they claim “14 million tons of plastic pollution” flows into the sea, with much of it building up in certain areas like gum sticking on a sidewalk and coming from many consumer products such as childhood toys or luxurious tupperware. Moreover, an amount of this proportion can give rise to some health problems like cancer and an environmental change consisting of the near demise of the wonderful and mysterious Ozone Layer, but as more and more research and planning come out each day, there may be a promising, final solution in these issues.

Although the problems appear quite massive, there is a surprisingly large number of focused people and organizations willing to give their time, service and ideas in the matter. Destiny Vasquez, a sophomore in Antelope Valley High School argues, “I think plastic should not be used be used at all. We should have more volunteers. I think we should use aluminum bottles” while a Spanish teacher at AV, Indja Cheshire, states “Well, I think they should make glass bottles. If you produce something you can’t environmentally dispose of, then its a problem. It ends up in the ocean or wherever. It would more environmentally friendly because you don’t have to manufacture it constantly and it won’t affect the air as much”. Other notable solutions, such as those fantastically proposed by the endearing #StopSucking campaign and the project, Ocean Cleanup, by Dutch environmentalist Boyan Slat, have started to “get rid of” and “remove” the plastic, whether it be of a consumer product or part of something else.

Plastic usage in the world has certainly reached an all-time high and while it may seem like little progress has been made to get all of it out, the promise of a better, cleaner earth isn’t all entirely lost. As of right now, countless groups of people and volunteers are teaming up with each other and other eco-friendly organizations to help clean up the plastic, either by hand or through other methods of removal. At the rate that these people are moving, there might be as little to no plastic in no time.

1 Comment

One Response to “Is our Fish Safe? Are We?”

1. Jorge Gomez on September 24th, 2018 4:21 pm

I really love what this guy wrote! its as if I knew him all my life!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

California’s Educational Crisis

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

Counseling brings UC to AV

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

Are you Eating Plastic?

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

The AV Fair Lights Up Lancaster

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

Our Plastic Oceans

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

Las Vegas Killer Confesses His Habits

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

Parent instincts should always be listened to

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

Features

Polar Bears may not exist anymore

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

Plague in Madagascar

• Is our Fish Safe? Are We?

News

Who is Isis?

Is our Fish Safe? Are We?