We finally have a drama club! Thanks to Ms.Gillissen!

Photo By Savannah Pape

Photo By Savannah Pape

Savannah Pape, Sandpaper Writer

“I think I would be a monkey because they can hang out in trees whenever they want” Ms. Gillissen exclaimed, describing what animal she wishes she could be. Ms.Gillissen is the kind of teacher who stays here at Antelope Valley High School most days until as late as 6-7pm due to her involvement with the school’s new drama program.

Gillissen started the program last school year at the beginning of her second year teaching here at AV. Although this is her first time being a drama teacher this is, in no way, her first time in the theatre world. She started her love for theatre her freshman year at Highland High School and continued on throughout high school. After she graduated she stayed in the theatre business by working in theatres until she got the job at AV.

When asked about the formation of the program, Ms. Gillissen responded, “Our school was in need of electives and I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time.” After administration got on board with her wonderful plan her very dedicated group of kids and her, started year one of the drama program.

Auditions for Alice in Wonderland, adapted by Taylor Bradley were first. After the cast was posted there came the long and fun rehearsal process, and before long, it premiered on January 27, 2017. Following the closing night of Alice in Wonderland it was time to prep for Ghostlight 2017, a two-day interdistrict theatre festival. Day one was a celebration of scenes and monologues while day two consisted of workshops and an activity where all of the schools put together a puzzle piece play. Then everyone piled into the vans to watch Bye Bye Birdie, at Glendale Centre Theatre. Towards the end of the year, Ms. Gillissen and her students put together a school theatre competition called Battle of the Thespians. To finish off the year they participated in Scene Fest hosted by Eastside High School and they performed 15 Minute Hamlet, written by Tom Stoppard.

This year drama started the first, of their two main stage shows, with A Murder is Announced, by Agatha Christie which opened on the weekend of October 27, 2017. Ms. Gillissen took her drama class to see A Raisin in the Sun, at a Noise Within Theatre in Pasadena. The next project they undertook was an extremely fun collaboration with Eastside as they worked together to put up the play Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare in March of 2018. After they prepped for their second annual schoolwide theatre competition, Battle of the Thespians. The winners of the battle went on, to once again perform at the second year of Ghostlight and winners got tickets for the show on day two. Once again after day two, everyone piled back into the vans to go see, Noises Off, by Michael Frayn at Pasadena’s, A Noise Within Theatre.  

To celebrate their year of success Ms. Gillissen and her kids put together a Tony’s theme Banquet. Where she announced the main stage shows for next year, A Charlie Brown Christmas written by Charles M. Schulz and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, written by Tom Stoppard. It’s hard to believe how Ms. Gillissen manages it all. She is truly an amazing woman and her students love and respect her dearly. She is very excited to see the program grow in future years.