Counseling brings UC to AV

Photo Courtesy of Yajaira Rangel

Photo Courtesy of Yajaira Rangel

Yajaira Rangel, Sandpaper Editor In Chief

Antelope Valley, CA – The top 10 percent of high schoolers from grades 9 to 12 at AVHS were invited on Monday, October 9, to a UC event that encouraged students to apply to college. To kick off this event, the Lopes Center cut the ribbon for their newly built career center (which is now located in room 824).

Many students participated in the event, including Band students who played during this particular event as well as ASB, who helped with preparing and ROTC also made their presence in the ceremony. After, the students, parents, and UC representatives reported into the large gym where the actual UC event took place. There, the representatives spoke about the options after high school and they really gave students inspiration and motivation to apply to a UC college. There were also college booths including UC Davis, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Irwin, AVC and other college booths that answered all of our questions and doubts students  had about college. Soon after, each grade went to their own assigned class and we were informed of, to name a few, financial aid, scholarships, college costs, personal insight questions, of mainly UCLA.

Students that attended the UC event including Jorge Gomez expressed that the UC event “…definitely clarified a lot of things about college that I knew and some things that I didn’t know, it clarified the admission process, and what would happen if you want to choose another major…and it gave me some stuff to think about, and it took away some pressure that I had about college.” Student Valentin Zapata said that “The UC event was actually very helpful because it helped me understand that college can be worth your time, and financial aid isn’t as bad as its portrayed, as I learned in the college booths.” Samantha Rosales also shares that the UC event was overall useful and clarified the questions she had about college. Another student, Ebony Walker tells that the UC event was effective for her as she states “ I learned a lot about colleges…and how it is possible to get into a UC without breaking the bank. And that you can make your college package more affordable by trimming down on things you don’t need in order to save money, plus the college booths convinced me to cancel out some UC’s because they don’t have my major”.