Why Cyberbullying Should Be Taken Seriously

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

Melanie Zelaya, Sandpaper Writer

Online bullying is something that should not be taken lightly. Words can affect someone more than physical bullying, Everybody has feelings. Using technology to say bad things or even sending people death threats is more emotionally and mentally challenging and serious to a person than actually hurting the person physically. I am not saying that bullying physically is not bad, but, rather, that bullying all itself shouldn’t even be a problem in our world today. There are better things to do than make someone feel terrible about themselves and their features.

Cyberbullying is seen everywhere and can be found just about anywhere. For example, I came across a Youtuber, Daisy Marquez, that just recently had been cyberbullied for previous rumors and allegations that were made about her and the things she had supposedly done. People were sending her death threats to put her in her place and to show her how she is not whom she appears to be. She does makeup related videos, that in my opinion, shows her to be a strong and cheerful person and someone that is always happy.  This Youtuber was recently admitted into the hospital to be on a day suicide watch. The comments and things that were being sent to her affected her very much and she was harming herself.

Bullying someone online is a serious matter because you are having someone re-think their life and on some occasions if they are worth living. Cyberbullying is very serious and there are very serious consequences to people that get caught doing so.  We are all human beings with feelings and not everybody is strong enough to brush negative comments away. Words are very powerful and they affect most people. Anyone can get cyberbullied, youngsters and even adults. Most are immune to these kinds of remarks that people are saying about them, but about 75% of the others can’t help but give in to what people have to say about them.

Mostly everyone has something they are insecure about, I know that I am very insecure about myself and my features. There are times when I bully myself at times because I think that I should be and look a certain way. I have learned from my parents that people that feel the need to say something bad about others is obviously going through something themselves and they take it out on others.

Cyberbullying should be taken way more serious, it should be brought to everybody’s attention because ultimately it causes damage to someone’s life.