The Standard of Beauty: The Crushing Criticism

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Mackenzie Sessoms

Photo Credit: Mackenzie Sessoms

Photo Credit: Mackenzie Sessoms

Mackenzie Sessoms, Editor

For years on end, the world has focused on beauty. How to attain it, maintain it, and manipulate it. There has always been an ideal for a woman and man that it has been programmed into our heads that we must fit this ideal of model status because to be beautiful is to be perfect. It has become a standard. We see movies full of beautiful actors and actresses and magazines with skinny, acne free women and think, “That is what I need to aim for. This is what I need to be.” Somewhere in midst of growing and learning, we all forgot how good it is to be ourselves and not to wish for something so superficial. Beauty is only skin deep, but everything that makes a person themselves is the real prize. As long as these standards exist, people will always think their body or face isn’t enough. Because as long as what qualifies as beautiful lingers, people will always think they aren’t enough. I released a survey asking for anonymous answers to what people considered the standard was for themselves, and what they would change to fit the ideal. Though a question still stands and is one that everyone should think about. Will anyone ever fit the standard? Will you ever be enough for yourself?

Lately, the standard has softened from the harsh way it used to be, but still, many people struggle with the little voice in their head saying they must be the type of beauty that everyone would see.  I took a survey of 13 anonymous students in AV High, asking how they felt about this standard and if they had any insecurities that hinder their progress for better improvement. When asked about what they thought the Standard of Beauty was, I was not surprised when most answered by describing models in magazines or Instagram, who are skinnier, or have stunning looks or follow a certain aesthetic. Thankfully, no one had an ideal of how one should dress according to gender, and preferred to keep it neutral. Other than that, the answers made me think on the self-esteem troubles we have today. People still envy others and want to have at least one feature they see on someone else, and that is a bit sad as we should all be able to be happy with our looks without envying others. Some students went even deeper into the Standards and one even stated that these standards are, “… a social construct made to make people spend money on products to ‘fix’ their ‘imperfections’.” This student is absolutely correct when stating this, as millions of dollars has gone to makeup companies, plastic surgery, and the latest anti-aging cream made from “natural ingredients” from the factory. Not only do we spend so much money on the beauty resources we use, but some girls even sacrifice sleep to get up early and make themselves feel beautiful. The sad part is, no matter how much we desperately want to love ourselves, we still have problems doing so. As I read the answers from a certain student’s survey, they had wished to be “Normal sized” and were not at all confident in their looks. It saddened me to read “Normal sized, as it refers to being skinnier, when in reality, no matter what size you may be, you can still look more beautiful than the “skinny minnies” that walk around looking as if they haven’t eaten in ages. The same goes for skinny people who are just born that way. You don’t have to change yourself to fit an ideal that is realistically, too far for any human being to reach. I’m pretty sure if anyone tried, they would loom bizarre in the end anyway.

Beauty, as cliche as it may sound, only resonates from within. You can be the most beautiful person on the globe, but if your personality is ugly, then it won’t matter, because those who radiate a magnetic personality and are easy to hang around, no matter how they look outside, will win over a crowd. Those of you who are not as confident as the girl with the great body and pretty features must know that no one can be you and take your place. You are unique and loved no matter what clothes you wear, how much money you have, or how you look physically. Rock your body and remember that the most attractive thing on anybody that should really be the Standard of Beauty, is the smile you hold in and the laughs you should let out more often. Remember to love yourself to start loving others and improve yourself at your own pace. Seeking a pretty face won’t always make you happy. It will only make you feel worse. Find a reason to love yourself whether it be a talent, or an experience, or just being able to wake up to a wonderful day.