How to Conquer Your School Career: One Year at a Time

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Sandpaper Staff

Photo Courtesy of Sandpaper Staff

Photo Courtesy of Sandpaper Staff

Mackenzie Sessoms, Sandpaper Editor

As a student, there are things you must accomplish in order to graduate with good grades and establish good work ethic. As you know, being a student isn’t always as simple when balancing friendships, sleep, eating, and of course, social media time. These things make completing homework a task as you can never really focus without thinking of who commented on this post or what food is in the fridge, then you wonder what exactly you had to do for homework to begin with. Everyone’s work ethic is different, but if there is barely any ethic at all, this article may help you find the motivation.

For starters, you MUST let go of the phone. It may not be the easiest, but some steps to slowly decrease phone use are:

• Do Not Disturb Mode: Once this is on, you slowly forget about your phone
  • Hide it: While working, simply place your phone across the room or hide it under a pillow.
  • Turn it off Completely: That way if you try to get on, you discourage yourself because of how long it will take to power it up.

These steps will slowly take away use from your phone and you will be able to focus more.

The second step would be to take notes in class! This is one of the most important as your teacher will go back to it at a later date. The best way to take notes is to keep up with the lecture, and once you get home, copy the notes again to keep it in mind and have neater notes to work with. Another way to keep track of lectures is to record the class and listen to it at home to make sure you have everything.

The biggest part of improving work ethic is homework. When you have a more laid back work ethic, you are usually not worried about whether this assignment was due today, and usually wait until the last minute to rush through your work, only to realize you forgot how to do that chapter a while ago. Here are a few things to help out with that.

• Get right on it: People usually take a break when they get home to eat, mess around, and ultimately forget you had homework until the last minute. The best course of action is to take a small five minute break, then start your homework IMMEDIATELY. You won’t regret it when you’re the only one in class who finished the work. Trust me.
  • Keep water and Snacks with you. As you do your homework, try to keep a lot of water on you just in case you can’t seem to focus. Chocolate helps you to concentrate on your work but I find that chewing on anything helps. Of course you must be careful, as too much sugar could cause you to crash!

These tips should help you to slowly get your work done faster and keep your work done on time! The real test however, is if you can take a break from the phone and focus on the work so that you may succeed, and conquer your classes little by little. Now of course, I don’t expect you to warm up to the idea immediately, but it would help you to know that I have used these tips to get to where I am today. I have all A’s in every subject and have maintained a 3.3 GPA that will soon be a 4.0. Take it from me that these tips will not let you down!