Next Era Music

Back to Article
Back to Article

Next Era Music

Photo Courtesy of Myka Colquitt

Photo Courtesy of Myka Colquitt

Photo Courtesy of Myka Colquitt

Lizet Bautista, Sandpaper Staff Writer

On February 1st, 2019, ASB had their annual assembly for the kids who bought an ASB card for the school year. This year ASB invited a group of young musicians called, Next Era Music, to come and perform and give their very inspirational story about how they have overcome some traumatic experiences from their childhood.

Next era music, is a collective artist group consisting of performers Jess, Luke and Chylyn, they perform music separately but also as a group. For the past couple of months, they have focused on traveling to schools starting from their home town of Missouri and then making their way down to Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

They first started out by going to churches and delivering their inspirational music and speeches. They later got into doing their performances at schools after one of the churches asked them if they would like to go talk at one of their schools. “We went to the school and we liked it so much more, so we decided that when we go on tour we would focus more on schools, when we started we had no idea how much impact we could have on students, we helped younger and older kids find their worth, and that makes the difference and what matters to us”- Jess.

During their performances they each give a speech dedicated to the topics of “you matter”, “you have value”, and “you have purpose”, after their inspirational speech they sing a song that ties in with the topic. It’s a very emotional performance to watch because they talk about their life story and how they been through some very negative experiences and how they’ve overcome them. “When I began, it was this sort of thing where I questioned, how are people going to respond to this? Is it actually relatable? Going out there and talking about my life is something that gets easier with time and seeing the people that relate to it makes it easier. I remember what it was like being the person that needed to hear those things and now being that person for so many kids, makes me feel blessed”- Chaylyn. “If what I say could help at least one person it’s worth it and it’s what matters”-Jess.

They started touring together October of 2017 and through that time they have been to so many new places, so many schools, and seen so many new things. They’ve made so many memories some good and some not so good. “We have fun, we like getting to go to different schools and seeing different cultures and feeling the different environments”-Luke. “Every school is different and every place has something different to offer”-Jess.