2019 Beach Clean Up

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Beach Clean Up

Photo Courtesy of Sandpaper Staff

Photo Courtesy of Sandpaper Staff

Photo Courtesy of Sandpaper Staff

Myka Colquitt, Sandpaper Staff Editor

On Saturday, April 20th, 2019 Mr. Ramirez and Ms. Gillissen put together a field trip that benefited our world for the better. Together they gathered around 40 students (including me) from their classes and people that they know to help a cause. The selected AVHS students went to Santa Monica Beach to pick up trash to save the sea life from pollution.

I woke up around 6:00 am to get ready, I packed my stuff and headed to Antelope Valley High School to get on the bus and head to the beach. When we arrived I only noticed Ms. Gillissen on the bus but when we were about halfway there we picked up Mr. Ramirez and continued our journey to the beach. Despite the conditions of the weather that were not in our favor, because it was freezing, all of us were excited and ready to help the world become cleaner.

As we arrived at the beach, we signed in and began orientation where we talked about where to go, what to do, and how to do it. After, they gave us gloves, a bucket, and a checklist of things we could possibly look for. Everyone divided into separate groups. I got into a group which consisted of Isabel, Aaliyah, Ryan, Savannah and I (hi).

We started under the pier and found loads of cigarettes and a bunch of plastic waste. Then we moved to the left side of the pier where we were able to fill our whole bucket with tons of stuff including glass beer bottles, cigarettes, and wasted food. Who would waste a whole bag of popcorn?

After we finished we returned our bucket and got acknowledged for being one of the few groups who actually took their time to fill the bucket up with as much trash as possible.

After that, we were granted our free time and took pictures to capture our moments and after HOURS, we finally ate, THANK YOU ISABEL. There was plenty of food including a bacon-wrapped hot dog that was not as good as I expected it to be, but in all, it was fun.

If I had the chance to go back I definitely would, I felt as if I made a difference, it was empowering. So many people from so many different schools went to this event and to know that there are many other good hearts out there made me feel like the world can change. As long as we put our positive mindsets to work we can all make a difference.