Does The School Practice It’s Safety Procedures Enough?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo: Ricardo Aviles Sandpaper Editor

Photo: Ricardo Aviles Sandpaper Editor

Photo: Ricardo Aviles Sandpaper Editor

Photo: Ricardo Aviles Sandpaper Editor

Antelope Valley High school (AVHS) is one of the oldest high schools in the Antelope Valley. And with it being this oldest school there a few setbacks. Safety is one of the biggest issues on campus.

One safety issue is that some students don’t know the evacuation plan and or emergency drill. One students on campus has claimed to not know the plan needed when a fire breaks out on campus or if a lockdown is in process. One student, a Eli Torres, after being asked as to whether or not they know what to do during these situations responded with “I honestly don’t what to do during a fire drill i just follow my friends to the field and sit there and talk to my friends.”   

One student during a lockdown described their classroom as “Very loud, everyone was standing up and walking around the classroom,” she continued to say that “half of my english class was going around the windows looking out them and some even opening the windows, it honestly makes me think that no matter how much the schools says i’m safe on campus, i doubt that i really am.”

Though Lockdowns and Fire drills are two completely different things. In procedures such as the Fire drill the students would go outside and into the football field and wait with their fellow peers. During a lockdown, students must remain quiet and will stay seated. The doors would remain locked until further notice.

A new teacher on campus, Ms. Bolton, described her classroom during the lockdown “The students didn’t really take it seriously saying that it was a joke and others saying that it isn’t real and that it was a joke,” she continued to say that “ honestly we only need to practice these procedures once or twice  a semester at the start rather than once at the beginning of the year.”

To further prevent accidents during the actual event of a fire and a lockdown teachers should spend a class period educating students on what to do during these situations at the start of each semester. A full fledged drill is not all that is needed to learn what to do during these situations.